What’s the best pizza in Florence? Its a tough one since there are plenty of options for finding a Neapolitan style pizza. However, I have done a decent job trying different pizzerias around the historic center of Florence to determine my favorites:
1. O’Munaciello: a beautiful restaurant and pizzeria over the river was where I found my favorite margherita pizza in Florence. For around 8 euros you can enjoy a delicious Neapolitan pizza with a beautiful atmosphere.
2. Il Mercato Centrale: the second floor to the market just opened a couple weeks ago, providing many places to eat! I tried the margherita pizza and it was very close to what is served in Naples for 8 euros!
3. Eataly: the popular food market known for their quality products also has a rotating brick oven to cook delicious pizza. I sat at the counter where I watched the pizza man make me a margherita pizza with delicious mozzarella di bufula (I paid extra to have it instead of fior di latte). Quick service and a great quality, especially if you only have a short time to eat!
4. O’Vesuvio: famous for the cast of Jersey Shore, I wanted to try this restaurant known for its Neapolitan pizza. Very good, however I tried the margherita with fior di latte because I only had 6 euros (or else I would have upgraded to the mozzarella). I took the pizza to go and enjoyed it in the sunny Piazza della Reppublica.
5. Gusta Pizza: every study abroad student recommends Gusta Pizza. A small pizzeria over the river provides about 7 pizza options and two daily specials. I have only tried the margherita, although my friend loves their pesto pizza. It was very good (and only 5 euros), however, I do like my pizza a little saucy and Gusta’s pizza seemed a little too dry for me. Nonetheless, its a great place that many people rave about for a cheap and yummy pizza.
6. Mamma Napoli: this restaurant/pizzeria located behind the Mercato Centrale offers numerous types of Neapolitan pizza. I tried the trio featuring a margherita in the middle, a ricotta and salami pizza on the left, and on the right a proscuitto, mushroom and cheese pizza. It was fun to be able to try three different types of pizza in one! They even offer pizzas with ricotta stuffed crust but I haven’t gone back to try it.